background

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Homeschool Learning The Flat Homeschool Way, Part I

collaborative learning

What in the world is a “flat homeschool”? In a nutshell, and in my own words, a flat homeschool is one where, thanks to wondrous technological advances, almost every homeschooler almost everywhere has access to almost anything. Thanks to technology (internet, blogs, wikis, mobile phones, social media, etc.), every homeschooler has the opportunity to be a collaborator and a creator. The playing field is leveled, or flattened. We are all potential superstars!

Here is what I envision for The Flat Homeschool community:

1) A place where homeschoolers (primarily pre-teens and teens) can come together with ideas that they want to explore, link up with others who are interested in exploring with them, craft a discovery plan, head off into the world to find answers, and collaborate all along the way as they have “aha!” moments.

2) A place where homeschoolers interested in authentic project-based learning can get expert guidance and support (that will be my primary role as "Chief Collaborator").

3) A place where learning and technology go hand-in-hand.

4) A place where we can harness the power of technology in the process of discovery, meaning making, and product creation.

5) A place where learning is natural, organic. It occurs when learners are free to choose what to explore based on passions and interests, however fleeting. It occurs when learners are allowed the time to wander in and out of things, places, and thoughts, asking for guidance only when needed. It occurs when learners can share, discuss, debate, and create with others.

6) A fun and practical community where we are all learners free to politely share thoughts and opinions and bounce ideas off of each other.

So, that's all I'm going to say for now. I want to open up the floor to you. I am interested in knowing what you need and want in a homeschool community that involves both parents and children? What are some interests that your kids are exploring right now that could potentially turn into collaborative projects? Anything else that comes to mind?

4 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting, and could work really well! It may be hard to implement. My homeschooled ones are little and all of my bigs are in public school, so I'm not much input for now!

    New Follower from the Alexa hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and welcome Pam! I hope you will stay tuned because I'm in info-gathering mode right now. I want to hear from homeschoolers who may be interested in getting together in an online community (like Mixxt). I already have a site set up, which you can check out at (http://theflathomeschool.mixxt.us). Even if your bigs are in homeschool, if there is something they want to explore with others during the summer "just because", I would welcome that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blog with interest and now following you on Twitter! Check out our Flat Classroom projects at http://flatclassroomproject.net, and watch for our book coming out in January, http://flatclassroombook.com We are exploring how home schoolers can take advantage of what we have set up over the past 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Julie Lindsay

    Thanks Julie! You and Vicki are true inspirations in flat learning! I am so passionate about using technology to bring learners together and want to see that happen in the homeschool community. Please let me know if there is any way I can be of assistance! I would love to be involved!

    ReplyDelete